The Baker-Shindler Contracting Company is celebrating eighty-eight years in serving Northwest Ohio with Quality Construction. The Company has left its mark in Defiance and surrounding communities with scores of building projects. Recognized as the oldest General Contracting firm in Northwest Ohio, Baker-Shindler was incorporated on March 28, 1921 by Frank Baker and Douglas C. Shindler. The Company has specialized in constructing schools, public & commercial buildings and industrial facilities.
When Frank Baker left the firm to join First Federal Savings & Loan Association, D.C. Shindler continued operating the company until his death in 1945, at which time his son, Walter B. Shindler took over as President until his retirement in December of 1983. Walter’s son, Douglas R. Shindler joined the firm full time in 1970, after serving in the Navy Construction Brigade, and took over as President and Chief Operating Officer on January 1, 1984 and continues in that position today.
During the last 87 years, the firm has been involved in the construction of schools, hospitals, offices, commercial buildings, churches, libraries and manufacturing facilities such as General Motors Powertrain, Defiance Precision Products, Johns Manville, Campbell Soup Company, Con Agra Grocery Products, Sauder Woodworking Company, Lafarge Corporation, and Chase Brass & Copper Company and is approved to conduct business in the states of Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan.
In 1947 Baker-Shindler Ready Mix Concrete was established with a five truck operation on Columbus Avenue, and at that time was the first Concrete Plant of its kind in Northwest Ohio, aside from Toledo and Lima. In 1968 Baker- Shindler moved to its present location on Cleveland Avenue. In 1982 the firm added a plant operation in Paulding, Ohio. Baker-Shindler Ready Mix has been a leader in supplying quality concrete for various types of construction projects in the area for 62 years.
Baker-Shindler has been and will continue to be instrumental in the building of Defiance and the surrounding areas of Northwest Ohio for many years to come.